|“||To strike past all obstacles...That's the Ace!||”|
|Also Known As|| The Revived Ace |
Negative Goatee (By Kōshi Sugawara)
|Date of Birth||January 1|
|Height|| 184.7 cm (6' 0.7") - April |
186.4 cm (6' 1.4") - November
|Weight||75.2 kg (165.8 lbs)|
|Goal|| Not give up |
Not inconvenience the team
Possess the self-awareness of an ace
|Likes|| Volleyball |
|Occupation||High School Student (3rd Year, Class 3)|
|Teams|| Seikoudai Junior High (former) |
Karasuno High (current)
|Position|| Wing Spiker |
|In the Manga||Endings and Beginnings|
|In the Anime||He Who Is Called "Ace"|
|Voice Actor||Hosoya Yoshimasa|
|English Actor||Orlanders Jones|
He has long hair which is usually styled as a bun behind his head and dark brown eyes matching his hair as well as his eyebrows. He also appears to be growing a short scruff on his chin, his overall appearance makes him look way beyond his age yet slightly unapproachable.
In Season 2, he is shown no longer wearing his hair in a bun, but swept backwards with a sports hairband.
In contrast to his appearance, he is rather quiet and gentle, and has difficulties realizing that he is Karasuno's ace, as he initially doesn't feel that way. He shows to be weak-willed at the beginning when he leaves the team before the first years come, feeling that he let down his entire team when they lost against Date Tech High even though they counted on him. After coming back to Karasuno, he realizes that his will to play volleyball is much stronger than he thought, and with the help of his teammates, he acknowledges his position as Karasuno's ace (even though he is still mocked sometimes by Daichi for not having any "ace-like presence") and gains self-confidence.
Asahi is said to have a "Glass Heart", taking everything that is said about him to heart, and becoming depressed because of it at times. While he still feels insecure about a lot of things and seems to be quite a scaredy-cat, he clearly states that he has no intention of letting anyone take his ace position away from him in later chapters, showing his development from the beginning.
Asahi is the most powerful attacker in Karasuno. He is known for a strong spike that can blast past most defenders. His best spike is when he's given a high toss that is slightly away from the net. As his captain, Daichi has said, "If you want to stop our ace, you'll have to bring an iron wall!".
After their battle against Nekoma, Asahi learned how to do a back row attack.
As a result of the Summer Training Camp Arc, Asahi learned to perform a jump serve. His jump serve has been noted by some to have a good course. He was also seen training his serve along with the others before the Spring Tournament began. His receives also became more solid than during the Interhigh match against Seijoh, and he learned to sync with Nishinoya's Libero Toss to perform a back row attack.
During Karasuno's most recent practice match against Date Tech High, Asahi developed a powerful wipe that ricocheted off the Iron Wall of Date and scored the match's final point. He uses this wipe again against Tsukihabara Academy during Karasuno's first match at Nationals, saving the team in a pinch.
As of mid-November:
- Fingertip Height: 242 cm
- Jumping Reach: 333 cm (spike) / 310 cm (block)
- Favorite Food: Tonkotsu ramen
- Current Concern: When he tells people he's a student, nobody believes him; 1st years are afraid of him; girls in his class say things like "Even though he looks the way he does, he's kinda weak" and then get themselves disappointed; also his future plans; the captain being scary... (cut for length)
- Asahi wears white gym shoes with black accents.
- There are many rumors going around about Asahi mainly due to his physical appearance, including: he is the leader of a gang, he deals illegal substances such as drugs, and he's been in high school for five years.
- His jersey number (3) is symbolic, considering how his speciality is spiking (and how spiking is usually the third contact) He, along with Daichi and Sugawara, form a set.
- Asahi and Yū Nishinoya are foils. Their birthdays are inverse (01/01 and 10/10), as are their heights and personalities (and even their name kanji contrast each other - respectively 'east' and 'west', 'peak' and 'valley', 'morning sun' and 'evening'). They are also the two best known, talented, and accomplished members of the team, other than Kageyama.
- His star sign is Capricorn.
- When asked about Asahi's name origin, Furudate said, “Because I finished the story and scene first - which doesn’t happen often - I made his name contrast to Nishinoya’s name: the morning sun which rises from the eastern peak!”
- In the Christmas Haikyuu!! Drama CD, Asahi mentions that 'Don't Give up, Kamchatka' is his Bible. It's a collection of photos and poems of people living in the harsh wilderness.
- Asahi (旭) - Morning Sun
- Azumane (東峰) - East Peak