|“||Uselessly hot-blooded people irritate me...||”|
|Also Known As|| The Clever Blocker |
Tsukki (by Yamaguchi, Hinata, Bokuto, Kuroo, Koganegawa, Lev, Shimada and Takinoue)
Glasses, "Four Eyes" (by Kuroo, Bokuto,Tendō and Oikawa)
Stingyshima (by Hinata)
Lil' Bro Shima (by Akaizawa)
The Smirky Read Blocker (by Nishinoya)
The Normal Guy (by Tendō)
Nobukatsu-kun (by Kuroo)
|Date of Birth||September 27|
|Height|| 188.3 cm (6' 2") - April |
190.1 cm (6' 3") - November
|Weight||68.4 kg (150.8 lbs)|
|Family|| Akiteru Tsukishima (Brother)|
|Goal||"Nothing in particular"|
|Likes|| Volleyball |
|Occupation|| High School Student |
(1st Year, Class 4)
|Teams|| Amemaru Middle School (Former) |
Karasuno High (Current)
|In the Manga||The King of The Court|
|In the Anime||The Formidable Ally|
|Voice Actor||Kōki Uchiyama|
|English Actor||Leraldo Anzaldua|
Tsukishima is very tall and has a lanky, incredibly slim build for a volleyball player. Despite being a first year, he is the tallest player in Karasuno High, standing at 190.1 cm. He has short blond hair, pale skin, thin eyebrows and golden-brown eyes. He is often seen with a frown or a condescending smirk on his face.
After joining the Karasuno volleyball team, Tsukishima wears the standard Karasuno volleyball uniform (black, orange, and white uniform with the number 11 on the back) during matches. He also wears knee pads and white volleyball shoes with green details. He is also the only player on the Karasuno team who wears glasses. Since Chapter 109, Tsukishima began wearing prescription sports glasses (a gift from his older brother, Akiteru) in matches.
Outside of matches and practice, Tsukishima wears a black gakuran, the Karasuno male uniform. He is usually seen with white headphones around his neck. The brand of these headphones seems to be "Somy", which is a play on the real name brand "Sony."
Tsukishima is very blunt and will sometimes rile his teammates up due to his antagonistic nature (most notably being Hinata, Kageyama, Nishinoya, and Tanaka) and sometimes other teams because of his casual smug attitude, taking pride in and relishing when his opponents see him as a nuisance as seen with Tendō and Shirabu.
Whenever someone does or says something stupid or silly he is usually seen snickering in the background. However, he does seem to be intimidated by his seniors, being nowhere in sight when Daichi reprimands Tanaka for antagonizing Aoba Josai even though he did so as well, or backing down whenever Ennoshita calls him out.
Although Tsukishima maintains a persona of someone who shows little interest in anything and wouldn't do something he didn't like or enjoy, he does truly enjoy volleyball. He initially refrained from putting too much effort into volleyball and being too passionate about it out of fear of suffering from the same fate as his brother. However, after his confrontation with Yamaguchi and hearing Bokuto's inspirational words in the Tokyo training camp, he started to take the sport more seriously and finally found his passion and motivation for volleyball when he blocked Ushijima.
Tsukishima keeps his cool, for the most part, but he can be seen getting visibly annoyed when people underestimate him or tell him what he can or can not do, and uses it as motivation to prove them wrong. He also says things like "It's not a competition" with Hinata but then immediately proceeds to do something to make him jealous, such as the time difference attack during the Shiratorizawa match.
According to Akiteru, "Kei is blunt and doesn't show his emotions often, but he is actually a very hardworking and kind boy."
Tsukishima is shown to be immensely proficient at blocking primarily because of his height. It has been said by Kenma that Tsukishima is a calm and collected blocker who thoroughly analyzes his actions, quite contrary to Hinata's behavior. His ability also allows him to perform split-second feints to surprise and put his opponents off-balance. After the final training camp before the spring tournament, he is able to match the power and speed of an adult, whereas before he couldn't even hold the block.
As of mid-November:
- Fingertip Height: 248 cm
- Jumping Reach: 334 cm (spike) / 325 cm (block)
Tokyo Expedition Arc Edit
While at first he shows very little passion or interest in improving his blocking, he comes to request further advice from Coach Ukai, who redirected him to Tetsurō Kuroo, whom is known to be a veteran in blocking. He was given blocking advice by Kuroo and Bokuto and practiced with them throughout the summer during the Tokyo training camp. As a result of his training, by putting power into the very tips of his fingers and extending his hands out in front of him instead of above him, he learned to be exceptional at doing a "kill block." In addition to being on par with opponents with his height and power, he also learned to match the timing of his opponents' spike and back them to a corner with a "conclusive" block.
According to Akiteru, Kei isn't the sort of player who moves on instinct. He doesn't trust in his own strength, nor in the senses he's honed. The only thing he trusts is the "information" in front of him.
Later, during their match with Shiratorizawa, it is shown that Tsukishima is truly a man that can "read block." Asahi notes that he has become the team's blocking playmaker, directing other blockers in his line based on his observations. Hinata also thinks his skills has become on par with Takanobu Aone of Date Tech High.
It is also shown that Tsukishima begins to actually care about winning the game against Shiratorizawa when his right hand gets injured while blocking one of Ushijima's intense spikes. He shows annoyance when it causes him to be switched out at such a crucial moment in the game, even telling Hinata to buy him some time while he is gone. Hinata responds to Tsukishima through saying that the team will be at nationals by the time he returns. The fact that he entrusted Hinata shows how much their relationship has grown, it is not perfect but certainly better than in the beginning of the series. When he went out because the part connecting his pinky and ring finger was torn, he was angry with himself to be out of the game, but the both teams bought him enough time to return with Karasuno down 14-15 in the final set.
After he returned, his reflexes and read-blocking improved, since he has been following the ball when he was on the court, and he never tried block by pure guesswork.
- Favorite Food: Strawberry shortcake.
- Current Concern: Upon entering high school, he once again has to put up with various people asking how to read the character for his first name.
- Tsukishima wears white gym shoes with green accents.
- His star sign is Libra.
- He has the third smallest appetite in the series, often making his teammates and upperclassmen worry for his health.
- His BMI is the lowest of the male characters in the series.
- He has a habit of fiddling with his fingers when he feels nervous, which is demonstrated most notably when he asks Coach Ukai for advice on blocking.
- He is usually seen with his white Sony (Somy in anime, to avoid copyright issues) headphones around his neck whenever he's not practicing or playing.
- Tsukishima appears to be good at studying, as he belongs to Class 1-4, known to be a college preparatory class.
- His birthday falls on the day of the Harvest Moon–which is when the Mid-Autumn Festival, also known as the Moon Festival, on the Chinese calendar is celebrated in September 2015. Coincidentally, the first character in his name means "moon". In addition, Tsukishima was often seen with a crescent moon symbol on the back of his hoodies and jackets as a child.
- He keeps toy dinosaurs on a shelf above his desk. Whether he actually likes dinosaurs or not is unknown, but it can be assumed that he does, as is demonstrated in a Let's! Haikyuu!? chapter.
- Tsukishima is often referred to as the moon while Hinata is the sun due to their surnames and opposing personalities.
- In a poll conducted by Charapedia, a Japanese anime and manga character database, that asked which anime characters would they choose as the basis for their children's name, Tsukishima came in 9th with 98 votes among female respondents.
- In Haikyū!!: One Shot, Tsukishima was a second-year while Hinata and Kageyama were first years. He was also only 184 cm.
- Furudate picked Tsukishima's name because “His last name has ‘moon’ (月) to contrast Hinata’s ‘sun’ (日). But I named him ‘firefly’ (蛍) because he can emit light on his own.”
- Kei (蛍) - Firefly
- Tsukishima (月島) - Moon Island