|Also Known As|| Nekoma's Brain (by Nekoma)|
Pudding Head (by Kuroo and Yamamoto)
|Date of Birth||October 16|
|Height|| 169.2 cm (5' 6.6")
170 cm (5' 6.7")
|Weight||58.3 kg (128.5 lbs)|
|Goal||Play a match against Karasuno in a match where it's instant game over if you lose.|
|Likes|| Apple Pie |
|Dislikes|| Getting tired |
|Occupation||High School Student (2nd Year, Class 3)|
|In the Manga||Team Karasuno, Full Speed Ahead|
|In the Anime||Decision|
|Voice Actor||Yūki Kaji|
|English Actor||Clint Bickham|
Kenma is depicted with an average height, a small build, and has an unsteady posture. He has many outstanding features, including his cat-like golden eyes and blond hair with black roots (sometimes referred as "Pudding-Head"). He had dyed his hair in his first year of high school, claiming that he did not want to "stand out". As shown in a Haikyuu! extra, Yamamoto claimed he looked like Sadako while gaming with his black hair covering his face, much to Kenma's dismay. He dresses casually, and his Nekoma uniform is the standard black and red jersey. He is usually seen carrying a portable game console and a cellphone with him.
Kenma has a very relaxed and laid back personality. He hardly ever loses his cool and usually never gets excited or fired up about anything (except Hinata, video games, Lev - in the The Arrival of Haiba Lev (OVA), which Kuroo points out, and Yamamoto in the past). He is quiet and reserved and does not often voice out his opinions since he is afraid of what others might think of him, and hates standing out or being noticed in any way.
Kenma is not very approachable and doesn't make friends easily. His manner of speaking tends to be shy and reserved. He also has a disdain for pointless authority and doesn't just blindly expect his juniors to respect him, unlike others.
Kenma rarely shows emotions; as such, he usually ends up giving a cold impression to others, but it is shown that he does care about his friends and notices small upsets in their behavior. An example is when they were younger Kuroo badly lost a volleyball match and was feeling down and Kenma noticed this feeling and despite not really caring for volleyball asked if Kuroo would like to practice and "level up" to which he agreed eagerly. Another can be seen later in the manga when he admits that he tries hard to win for his friends.
Apart from Tetsurō Kuroo, his next-door neighbor, Kenma didn't befriend anyone ever since he was at elementary school. Despite his modest personality, Kenma is actually quite skilled in volleyball, with his extraordinary game sense, technique and strong analytical abilities, which makes up for his slight lack in power, speed, and stamina.
Despite seeming somewhat apathetic about it Kenma is the type of person to only do things he enjoys and would quit volleyball if he didn't enjoy it someway, which according to him was the aspect of improving his skills (kind like a video game). However, despite having a tough time admitting his feelings, the real motivation behind his continuation of Volleyball are his friends.
Since Kenma is often concerned about what other people think of him, he pays more attention to his surroundings. This helps him notice the little details of his opponents and calculate their skills, allowing him to decide which moves he should use to defeat them. Like the rest of his team, he is flexible and good at receiving the ball. According to Coach Ukai, he, as a setter, is supported by the entire team's receiving power. In other words, he can utilize his talents because of the strength of the receivers.
Due to his calculation of his surroundings, he can tell when would be the perfect opportunity for a dump shot, causing him to become an expert at them.
- Current Concern: Summer is too hot, winter is too cold.
- Kenma is shy around others except for Hinata and Inuoka.
- Favorite Food: Apple pie.
- He is an only child.
- He has the smallest appetite in the series.
- He dyed his hair blond to not "stand out" because Yamamoto had previously said that his hair looked like Sadako, which would draw attention from people. (Bonus chapter: 'Story Of The Pudding Head')
- He doesn't want to cut his hair because he gets anxious when his field of vision is too wide.
- His star sign is Libra.
- He neither likes nor hates volleyball; he hates getting tired.
- Up till middle school, he would easily get sick after practice days or matches.
- His nerves are always on edge because he doesn't want to be noticed.
- He considered quitting volleyball when he was a first-year because he was constantly targetted by his seniors. However, Kuroo talked him out of it.
- His username on his games is 'applepi'.
- In Haikyuu's first popularity poll, Kenma placed 10th with 3,256 votes. In the second, he still placed 10th with 4,863 votes.
- Kenma (研磨) - Polishing
- Kozume (孤爪) - Lone Claw