|Other names|| Lyovochka (by Alisa Haiba) |
Behemoth, Skyscraper (by Morisuke Yaku)
|Date of birth||October 30|
|Height|| 194.3 cm (6' 4.5") - April |
194.5 cm (6' 4.6") - July
196 cm (6' 5.11") - March
|Weight||79.7 kg (175.7 lbs)|
|Family||Alisa Haiba (older sister)|
|Goal||To become Team Nekoma's Ace|
|Likes|| Volleyball |
|Occupation|| High School Student |
(1st Year, Class 3)
|Chapter||"Let's Go To Tokyo!! For Real!!"|
|Episode|| "The Arrival of Haiba Lev (OVA)"
"Center Ace (Official)"
|Image gallery (49)|
Lev is very tall, with exceptionally long arms and legs. He has neatly parted light grey hair, and catlike slanted green eyes framed with thin eyebrows.
His half-Russian heritage gives him tall height, exceptional limb length, and physical ability.
He is shown to be quite childish and cheerful, as displayed by making fun of and pointing out Hinata's and Yaku's height along with the contrast they hold to him and other players. Lev's appearance, as well as his piercing eyes, causes people to believe he is much more intimidating and serious than he actually is. Though he can be extremely blunt, often offending others without realizing, he never seems to mean any real harm and adopts a playful attitude towards most things.
He is also shown to be enthusiastic about spiking as he gets excited about it very easily, and can be competitive with people he is interested in. He can be quite confident (nearing haughty) as well, as shown in Chapter 199, looking down at Nohebi when he managed to smash down their receive.
Lev is a half-Japanese, half-Russian first-year. He was born and raised in Japan and consequently cannot speak Russian. He is first introduced in chapter 79 of the Haikyū!! manga and the first OVA episode, shown at Jump Festa 2014. He attends Nekoma High, and is a Middle Blocker and self-proclaimed ace on the Nekoma High Volleyball Team.
Tokyo Expedition ArcEdit
Karasuno meets Lev Haiba during the first round of away-games. He was not present at the practice match between Nekoma and Karasuno, due to his lack of experience. Kōshi Sugawara and Asahi Azumane ponder if the first-year that was staring at them was present at the practice game. It is during a match that Lev demonstrates his whip-like spike, astounding the members of Karasuno.
Lev and Shōyō Hinata run into each other in the bathroom entrance. Hinata is intimidated by Lev's height and heritage, and he surprised to find that Lev cannot speak Russian. Lev teases Hinata on his height, and Hinata becomes offended. Lev then compliments on Hinata's jump, but says that he can jump higher, prompting Hinata to jump up and hit his head on the top of the door frame. They part ways, swearing that they will defeat each other.
Lev is present to say good-bye to Karasuno when they depart.
Spring High Preliminary ArcEdit
Whip Spike Edit
Lev's most notable ability yet is his whip-like spike, first displayed in Chapter 79. Hinata, in particular, is amazed by this spike, telling Lev, "It's incredible, how your spikes made it seem like the blockers being there didn't even matter."
Lev takes a straightforward approach to spiking, looking to win and garner the most hits, but shows a willingness to learn technical terms. His basic abilities are weaker (much like Hinata's, as Kenma had mentioned), but his strike, height, and physical ability make up for this. Lev still has trouble syncing with Kenma's toss.
During the Spring Training Arc, he started improving by learning to read block.
Lev's teammates don't seem to acknowledge his calling himself Nekoma's ace; Taketora in particular, who claims "a guy who can barely handle a defense can't go calling himself an "ace." Kozume Kenma even goes so far as to say, "His basics in throwing spikes and stuff are absolutely awful, even worse than Hinata's. His back spin kicks are crappier than Hinata's, too." Even though his over power, technique, stamina, and speed isn't outstanding, his extremely long reach and solid jumps make up for it, as noted from Kenma who could set him a middle ball about the height of the antenna.
Lev and Yaku are opposites in physical traits. While Lev is a towering figure, Yaku is short, even if he doesn't like to admit it. Lev's bluntness leads him to directly point this fact out, much to Yaku's annoyance.The libero makes sure to reprimand Lev, often physically hitting him in his anger whenever he points out the latter's height. Yaku is also seen to have been training Lev with his receives, although Lev ditched him one time and lied to his teammates to play with Kuroo, Bokuto, Akaashi and Tsukishima, leaving Yaku enraged.
In the Nekoma OVA, Kenma and Lev are seen to be working together to perfect the timing of Lev's whip spike attack. It is mentioned by Kenma that Lev's technique is almost nonexistent and that his attacks are sloppier than Hinata's. At first, it seems as though Kenma dislikes Lev, but this feeling eventually disappears as the two are able to attack properly later in the series.
- Favorite food: Oinarisan
- Current concern: His senpais try to give him weird nicknames.
- Lev cannot speak Russian; despite being of Russian-Japanese descent, he was born and raised in Japan.
- Just like Kenma, he doesn't like Kuroo's prematch speeches and famous quote: "We're like the blood in our veins...", and according to Kenma, that's the only thing he agrees with Lev on.
- Lev shares a birthday with Reon Ōhira.
- His star sign is Scorpio.
- He has states that he has grown 2mm in two weeks. So that means he grows 1mm in a week.
- Lev (Лев) - Lion
- Haiba (灰羽) - Ashen Feathers
- "You're even shorter up close." (to Hinata, within the first few minutes of meeting him in Chapter 79)
- "The ace is the one who makes off with the most points. It's as simple as that." (to Hinata, in Chapter 79)
- "I'm trying to be humble by not letting everyone know that I'm the best." (to Kenma, in Chapter 82)
- "I am the wind. I am as swift as the wind...I am the forest. I am as quiet as the forest...And...I'm flexible...as a cat!" (to himself, OVA 1)
- "I grew two millimetres!" (to Hinata)
- "Well, I'm not going to become just a regular - but the Ace!" (Haikyū!! OVA)
- "The Ace has...Awoken!" (After spiking one of Kenma's tosses for the first time, Haikyū!! OVA)
- "The usual for Nekoma... is not the same as before." (about Nekoma, in Chapter 198)
- "A ball that the other team so desperately manages to get back up in the air... it just makes my day smashing those back down!" (Chapter 199)